Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Can you pick five?
If you're crazy in some of the little ways I am, you probably spend time thinking through your hypothetical responses to situations that will never actually happen.
A few months back, I heard someone on a talk show make a passing reference to some sort of risotto dish, commenting that if she could only eat one thing for the rest of her life, that's what she would pick.
Well. Since then, I've spent far too much time thinking over that statement. First of all, because...risotto? Really? But secondly, because I've somehow decided that it's fascinating to think through which food items I would willingly eat over all others for all time. I'm not sure what set of circumstances would bring about the decision, but I've narrowed it down to either an unconventional desert island scenario or else maybe a Panem-type, government-corrupted situation where instead of being forced into arenas to fight to the death, each citizen is limited to one food as a testament to the Capitol's power.
It's entirely possible that I've given this a little too much thought.
Won't you join me?
Here's the question:
If you could only choose five foods to live on for the rest of your life, what would they be? Bonus question: And what three beverages would you choose?
1. I'm saying five because one is too hard. And it's my game.
2. Calories or other health considerations are not a factor. (Again, because it's my game, and I've decided that laws of science and reason won't apply.)
3. Any list you give can be modified based on the peer pressure of other people's lists.
4. Things that go together naturally can count as one item, as long as you can make a decent argument for their relationship to one another. (Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips and dip, cake and ice cream - all YES. Steak and strawberries - sorry, no.)
So. That being said, here is my personal initial list:
1. nachos with guacamole and salsa
2. Italian bread slices with herbed dipping oil and fresh tomato bruschetta
3. fruit salad with kiwi, peaches, raspberries, and watermelon
4. fresh lobster and crab with drawn butter
5. dark chocolate cake with chocolate ganache
2. sweet tea
3. Diet Coke
Ready? What are yours?
* * * *